Sharing news and commentary about education, careers, investing, and life.

Sharing news and commentary about education, careers, investing, and life.

Friday, January 11, 2008

Book Review: "Leaving Microsoft To Change The World"

Leaving Microsoft To Change The World is a book that had a profound impact on my thinking. In fact, halfway through the book I got up to go buy my parents some impromptu gifts; granted, this isn't the same as going to Nepal to give books but it made me feel a bit better. (By the way, one of the impromptu gifts was this book for my dad!)

Anyways, the story is your (mostly) basic feel-good story about a corporate fellow (John Wood) who gives up his high-paying and high-stress job at Microsoft to go start a non-profit after he travels through Nepal on vacation. Well, it's actually that he's traveling and is stopped by a stranger who takes him to a school; once there, he promises to come back (with books!) and so begins the excellent adventure that is this book.

I'll leave the rest up to you, readers of the blog, because this book is also worth getting. I know I recommend a lot of the books that I book review, but this one is entertaining and heartwarming. I'll rate it a solid 7.

No comments: