Sharing news and commentary about education, careers, investing, and life.

Sharing news and commentary about education, careers, investing, and life.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Augusta Views: A Successful Volunteer Company

I love the internet. The other day, through a bizarre series of clicks, I came across a company that I doubt I would've ever found on my own: Ouray Ice Park Inc.

Aside from being an easily accessible place to go ice climbing, if one is so inclined, the Ouray Ice Park is about as close to a complete volunteer organization as you can get! Located in Ouray, CO, the ice park was started by a small group of volunteers and funded entirely by donations. Now they have 5 part-time employees, memberships, corporate sponsors, and an annual festival to sustain them. To boot, it's touted as the "greatest ice climbing facility in the world." And climbing is free!

Click here for more info from the history page of their website.

Something tells me that I'm going to be learning to ice climb in the near future. Wanna come?

No comments: