Sharing news and commentary about education, careers, investing, and life.

Sharing news and commentary about education, careers, investing, and life.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

25 Hottest Colleges/Universities

Here's the 2007 issue of the 25 Hottest Colleges and Universities from *gasp* one of our competitors and Newsweek.

A few comments:

- I only keep up with these lists to stay "informed"... and find myself falling into the trap of discussing the lists, both because they cause debate and because people want to hear about these lists. However, I know they're generally subjective (and often wrong) when I see that Georgia Tech isn't the hottest school for science and engineering. Tsk tsk. Who else has our combination of academics and athletics in a hip, cool urban atmosphere?

- The hottest school for rejecting you is Harvard... no surprise there. But I want to know what schools gets the least amount of people to whom the school extends admission towards. That would be interesting!

- The hottest school for business is Babson - why had I never heard of it until a year or two ago? Was it my fault? My college advisor's fault? A quote:

"Just as violinists know why they're at Juilliard, and physicists at Caltech, the 1,700 students attending Babson understand what made them choose this small campus. They are entrepreneurs, and no school does a better job than Babson in teaching how to start businesses."

I wonder if this sort of environment would also be a negative - being around so many entrepreneurs might not give you the wide ranging experiences of meeting people with other interests. For example, at Georgia Tech I met people who studied all sorts of engineering disciplines, different sciences, some business students, some liberal arts students, and some (yikes!) architecture students. I consider that a strong positive compared to just being around entrepreneurial students, but that could just be me.

No comments: