Sharing news and commentary about education, careers, investing, and life.

Sharing news and commentary about education, careers, investing, and life.

Friday, July 13, 2007

That was close/I almost died!

I can't decide what's scarier - that I almost just got seriously injured or that I thought (once I settled down a minute later) that "man! this would make a great story on the blog!"

... I guess now that I've written this down, option 2 is scarier!

Anyways, so I'm working from home and waiting for my furniture to arrive from Ikea (note to future furniture buyers: when you order from Ikea, they take A MONTH to deliver furniture even though they had promised it in 2 weeks) and I hear a truck pull up. I think it's mine, of course, but it turns out it's the neighbor getting a furniture delivery as well. Oops. But now that I'm outside, and see the neighbor, I walk on down to say hi.

What's her face greets me with a nice hello and starts talking about her job (commercial real estate?) while the delivery guy is unloading her furniture. I'm facing away from the back of the truck, she's facing me (and towards the truck) and talk, talk, talking. All of a sudden I see her eyes get really wide and she abruptly stops talking - for some reason, without really thinking, I just side step calmly to my left. I see a whirl of orange metal go by the right side of my head (turns out it was a 15 foot long heavy metal support bar) and SMACK! into the lady's hand. In that quick moment, I had managed to sidestep a bar but she just panicked and got hit.

Now I'm not sure if her hand is broken, but we called her EMT friend who had a look at it and thinks she's going to be fine. I take a sigh of relief, head inside, and help my own moving guys. Then I hear a huge crashing noise outside. I think "GREAT" and head outside to see if it's my house or the neighbor's house. Turns out the moving guys for my neighbor had knocked down the power line from the street to the house (HOW does one do that?!) and now there's a fallen wire in the middle of the road.

... now I don't believe in superstitions, but I just realized it's Friday the 13th... odd...

No comments: