Sharing news and commentary about education, careers, investing, and life.

Sharing news and commentary about education, careers, investing, and life.

Friday, July 6, 2007

Book Review: "When Genius Failed"

I finished When Genius Failed yesterday but I wanted to think about a few topics before I posted a quick review/summary.

Well, for the summary party, I'm going to rely on my old standby - a Wikipedia entry on Long Term Capital Management. This, at least, is worth checking out because many people don't even know about the LTCM debacle.

As for review, well, readers of this blog likely won't want to read this book for two reasons - they'll have little interest in LTCM and they'll have even less interest in complicated financial strategies. Did I think it was worth my time? Yes, but because I also have an interest in most things financial. It's great for even a casual investor to take the time to read about stories such as LTCM's because it's a wonderful opportunity to capitalize on other people's experiences. Of course, this can be said about most books that cover an event, so based solely on that point I can't (and don't) recommend the book to all the faithful CK Tutors Blog readers.

I'm in the middle of another book, though, that reads like a thriller - the old classic Barbarians at the Gate. This book would appeal to even the most casual readers and makes a sometimes dull topic (LBOs/boardroom drama) seem interesting. I'll have a longer book review on Barbarians but in the meantime take a look at it!

Oh and I'll have a follow up post on CK's July Book of the Month: Mavericks at Work sometime next week. Have a good weekend everyone!

No comments: