Sharing news and commentary about education, careers, investing, and life.

Sharing news and commentary about education, careers, investing, and life.

Monday, July 23, 2007

The Regents Exam, Harry Potter, and other things

Ah, the ever spectacular City Journal hits home again with a short article on the Regents exam in New York. Reading this article got me thinking about some of the issues Marc raises, namely why the Regents exams seem to be so easy. My guess (and in this case I agree with the author!) is that "we" (the public) want to see improvements and success in test scores. If the exam becomes easier over time, and this seems to be the case, then student's scores improve or at the minimum most pass the exam. I know that when I was in school that the exam was easy to everyone I knew that took the Regents exam. In many cases students didn't have to take the exam because they were able to exempt via high test scores, etc.

And in other news, I'm sick. I don't know how it happened, but I woke up this morning feeling pretty awful.

In other other news, you may have heard about a certain book that came out this weekend. Yes, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out and sold (apparently) upwards of 8.3 million copies already. I wasn't one of those people who waited in line at midnight - instead, I woke up at 9am, went to the bookstore, and just got the book. I then proceeded to read all day and by about 9, 9:30pm I finished the book. I won't talk about the plot/contents of the book because I know many people are still reading, but overall it was a pretty good book.

Also, I am finishing Liar's Poker. Not sure if I want to "Book Review" it because, well, I'm not sure how many people would be interested in it! Let me know if you particularly want to hear about the book.

No comments: