Sharing news and commentary about education, careers, investing, and life.

Sharing news and commentary about education, careers, investing, and life.

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Augusta Views: Splurgerific!

Today there are countless things to spend your money on! How should you choose? For advice about investing & such, check out CK's Everything Investing series on the blog. This isn't that kind of post!

I am a firm believer that there are some things in life that are always worth the money. Here's a few of the things that I'll splurge on & why I think they're worth it:
  • Shoes- it's all about comfort! Don't believe me? Try it! (Cue the obligatory clever reference to walking a mile in one's shoes...)
  • Sudafed & Tylenol (v. store brand)- I enjoy the coating & despise the lack thereof enough to spend the extra $1.50!
  • My favorite candy- those green frogs with marshmallow on the bottom; they're rare enough to remain a novelty even though I buy them every time!
  • Presents for others- if it's a really great gift, I can't resist!
  • Dessert- particularly at fancy restaurants, but even in general, it's hard to beat a delicious ending!
  • High-quality socks- my lovely roommate Sarah once said if she were a millionaire she'd buy enough socks to have a new pair for every day! I completely agree! (I got these fantastic ones from Timberland...)
  • Fresh flowers- flowers are simply amazing to me & having fresh, beautiful ones to come home to just makes me so happy!
See a pattern? These are things from which I derive such pleasure and happiness that the money becomes no object. Of course, your list would different greatly from mine, particularly if you aren't such a nerd when it comes to socks! The moral of the story, however, is that there are things in life that, for whatever reason, are worth the money to each of us. I'd love to hear from y'all: What do you deem to be splurgerific?

And if you say a great real estate investment, you've missed the point. Go talk to CK! ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! I'd say my top two are books (it's easier to just get a library pass, but I love buying books up) and juice/coffee. I love stuff like Odwalla or buying coffee on an impulse. -RC

Anonymous said...

Your post amuses me to no end. I can't say I have quite the same affinity for socks, but I am huge on splurging on comfortable fabrics. I often find super soft sweaters, slipper socks, blankets, etc. difficult to turn down. I'll also splurge on food and supplies to go camping. Being able to spend a weekend with friends in the great outdoors especially with an amazing view of the stars is worth so much more than the cost of a campsite, food, wood, etc. ~PZ