Sharing news and commentary about education, careers, investing, and life.

Sharing news and commentary about education, careers, investing, and life.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Augusta Views: On Music

I'll be honest. I want to write a post on music, but I can't decide what to write about. Should I offer some evidence in the debate of how music enhances education? Perhaps I could explore the claims that music contributes to health? Or is it really the impact of music on my daily life that I wish to discuss? Is it the amazing way in which music expresses the inexpressible or the way it shapes the world that I'm interested in?

The truth is that I'd love to write about all of the above topics related to music. I'm constantly fascinated by its effects, the list of which is endless. I know how to spell "ambassadors" because of a song. I understand something about the impact of Buddy Holly's death through the lyrics of "American Pie." I have felt less alone in my struggles by hearing other people sing about going through similar trials. Sometimes it's just a melody and its ability to convey so much that has me in awe. And I could go on and on about how it feels to play music, whether alone or as a part of a group.

I guess that's my point. Music is incredible! What else can have so broad an impact? I know it's an invaluable part of my life, one that I didn't realize that I was missing until it made its way back into my routine.

I apologize for my abstract ramblings. Perhaps I'd do better to put my thoughts to music, but that'll have to wait until I have an instrument in my possession again! In the meantime, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

No comments: