Sharing news and commentary about education, careers, investing, and life.

Sharing news and commentary about education, careers, investing, and life.

Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Another follow-up post

A week or two ago I blogged about high schools (and younger) needed to focus on security just like colleges are now doing. So I was interested to see this article in the Washington Post about locks, buzzers, and intercoms being installed in the local Virginia schools.

When I was just starting out in high school, the Columbine shootings had just occurred. I remember not worrying about that sort of thing occurring at my school because it didn't seem like the sort of thing could happen again. That feeling may have been due to being naive, or innocent, but I never thought we'd get to the point of transforming schools from places of learning to miniature fortresses. It's already tough enough to get through school; students nowadays have to worry about so many things that earlier generations, even my own, didn't have to worry about. I'd wager that today's high school and middle school students are nowhere near as naive as I used to be at their age.

No comments: