Sharing news and commentary about education, careers, investing, and life.

Sharing news and commentary about education, careers, investing, and life.

Thursday, June 21, 2007

I'm back... and talking about independence/trust/bias

I didn't post yesterday because I spent a lot of the day out of the office on a business trip. But now that I'm back, a few topics I'd like to cover:

- This was a great post on Teach for America from Whitney Tilson. I've noticed the same thing - when I went up to Colby a few times, a lot of the people I met ended up deciding to do TFA. I wonder if there's a way to keep the increasing number of new graduates in the program instead of having it be a stopping point on the way to graduate school for a lot of the participants.

- A great post on overcoming bias that applies to life, school, and work.

- A Washington Post blog entry on dealing with kids' independence. I know it's hard for parents to let go, but it's important to let teenagers make mistakes while they're at home (better than when they're off to college, right?) That's why I like high schools like Galloway (shameless plug, since I went there) where you're trusted with independence from the get go and it's yours to lose. Just a thought.

- And though I already "assigned" the book of the month, I just finished another notable book - Fooled by Randomness, by Nicholas Nassem Taleb, which I heard about from Ben Casnocha's blog.

No comments: