Sharing news and commentary about education, careers, investing, and life.

Sharing news and commentary about education, careers, investing, and life.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Book Review: "Rigged"

Fantastic! I enjoyed this book from the start and it was thoroughly entertaining. The book Rigged is from the same author who wrote Bringing Down the House, that excellent blackjack thriller about some MIT students that struck it rich.

Well, the basis of this story revolves around oil and two main characters whose plot lines start out separately, slowly intertwine, and then culminates in an interesting ending. The first character is David, a recent Harvard Business School graduate who started in banking but then got a job offer from his hero to work at the NYMEX. The second character is Khaled, a highly educated young man with great connections in the Middle East.

The really interesting part to me was that this book is based on a true story. The author's introduction, and then the main character's note at the end, really drive home the point that the insanity and intensity of this story really did occur... which makes me thankful for the relative peace and quiet I've been enjoying since college graduation!

Well, if I had to rate this book, I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10. It's that good and the blend of wits, adventure, and business give it a nice edge.

Oh, and I promised my next book review would be on the Rolling Stones Interviews, but that book has been one I've been purposely reading slowly so that I can take its wisdom in at the right pace.

---
Like our posts? Click through to the full blog.

No comments: